Environmental targets and performance
BMO Carbon Neutral Project DescriptionsView PDF
Carbon Neutrality: Achieving our GoalView PDF
Operational ECO5 Summary ReportView PDF
Operational ECO5 summary reporting
We strive to mitigate our impact by applying best practices in managing our energy use, transportation, material consumption (including paper), waste generation and procurement – these are the 5 pillars of our ECO5 strategy. This summary report provides a holistic view of the major indicators we use to guide us in the implementation of this strategy and in achieving continual improvement.
Emissions reduction targets and reports
As a bank, the majority (86%) of our direct environmental impact is a result of emissions from the buildings we occupy, and the remainder is largely the result of business travel. Since 2008, we’ve met three separate multi-year enterprise emissions reduction targets. And we’ve built on that success with an ambitious new target established in 2017.
Absolute emissions target, established 2017
- Plan: Reduce absolute enterprise carbon emissions by 15% versus fiscal 2016 baseline levels (adjusting for weather and emissions factors), by the end of fiscal 2021.
- Progress: Absolute emissions decreased by 2.96% as at fiscal year-end 2017.
Further reporting on emissions
Here’s more information on how we’re measuring against our goal to reduce carbon emissions:
- CDP: Formerly The Carbon Disclosure Project, CDP is an ongoing effort to enhance the level and quality of carbon emissions disclosure from publicly traded corporations. Read our 2019 response to the CDP which represents the relevant data for our fiscal 2018 period.
- Greenhouse gas emissions summary report: Get full details on reported emissions from various sources (Scopes 1, 2 and 3) enterprise-wide. The data accounts for emissions from all BMO operations in Canada and the United States, as well as our international operations.
- Emissions verification statement: Read the third party consultant statement providing a commercially independent verification of the completeness and accuracy of our greenhouse gas emissions reporting.